Friday, July 9, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes





For my husbands birthday I made the rainbow cupcakes that I showed a picture of in my "Make your own cookbook post" I had lest one of my magazines out on the kitchen table (I think it was a free copy of Parenting) and he flipped through it to show me these yummy cupcakes. Later that night I pulled the page out and put it in my binder cookbook. When his birthday rolled around I made them for him!

They were very simple to do, although they do take a bit of time.

All you need to do is


Mix up a white cake mix and then die it the 6 different colors with food coloring drops. Then layer the colors in the cupcake liners (the recipe says it makes 16 but next time I will try 12). Bake as directed and frost! Simple as that! While not natural at all they are very fun and if you have children learning colors or how colors mix together you can get them involved if you are brave enough!


Here are the food coloring amounts needed:

purple: 9 drops red 6 drops blue

blue: 12 drops

green: 12 drops

yellow: 12 drops

orange: 12 drops yellow and 4 drops red

red: 18 drops



7 comments:

HoosierHomemade on July 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM said...

Very cool! I bet your hubs loved them!
I'd love for you to share them on Cupcake Tuesday next week over at Hoosier Homemade!
~Liz

Jennifer Hartman on July 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM said...

I would love to Liz!

HoosierHomemade on July 13, 2010 at 11:57 AM said...

Thanks so much for taking a minute to join Cupcake Tuesday!
~Liz

Jenn Erickson on July 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM said...

Must be the fact that I was born in the 70s, but a rainbow, in any form, always makes the child in me all giddy! I love your cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

So cute! I want to make those and always forget, thanks for reminding me :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer! I made Aiden a rainbow cake for his birthday! It was so much fun:) I had seen it online and decided to try it! -Hope

Jennifer Hartman on July 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM said...

Great Hope, I bet he loved it!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Grab My Blog Button

my button

Disclosure Policy

Click here to read full disclosure policy

Thrifty Jenny Copyright © 2009 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino